Thursday, December 17, 2015

Bacon & Sun Dried Tomato Carbonara

A few years ago I was lucky enough to travel to Italy. The first meal I had when I got to the hotel in Florence was Carbonara!

I can't even begin to explain the perfection, the simplicity, the silky-richness of this dish! By far one of the best meals I had while I was there!


Now to my dismay, I have yet to replicate this masterpiece exactly as I remember but that doesn't mean I haven't created my own delicious variations. 

Here's One with a little extra flare!

What You Will Need: Bacon, onion, garlic, parsley, sun dried tomatoes, eggs, noodles, butter & parmesan cheese.

Preheat your oven to 350 & get a pot of water boiling. 
**Add salt to the water only after it starts boiling..



First thing is to cook your bacon. Now, you can either cook the bacon in a pan or in the oven on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I prefer the oven to cut down of grease splatter & it provides a more evenly cooked bacon. Once it has crisped, drain off the fat and set it aside.


Separate your yolks from your whites.
**Save the whites for breakfast the next day

I have 5 yolks & sprinkled a couple tablespoons of the parmesan cheese. Mix & set aside.


In a large, high sided skillet, melt your butter & sauté the diced onions/garlic. Add plenty of the chopped bacon.


Allowing the onions, garlic & bacon to sauté for 3-5 minute, you can then add in your diced sun dried tomatoes. Finish with a sprinkle of parsley. Reduce the heat to low.


Once your noodles are cooked al dente, transfer them into the skillet. Mix with all the goodies.


Grab your morning coffee mug & get a full cup of the starchy cooking water. Slowly pour in the hot liquid to your yolk & cheese mixture. Whisk vigorously so you don't end up with scrambled eggs.


Pour the mixture over the noodles and toss to coat. It will look like there is to much liquid in the bottom of the pan but allow the pasta to 'rest' for a few minutes. 


Soon you will have a rich, luscious sauce...
& sweet sun dried tomatoes
& perfectly cooked noodles
& savory bacon!!!!


Garnish with chopped parsley and an extra sprinkle of parmesan cheese!!




Enjoy & Always Cook with Love!



No comments:

Post a Comment