Sunday, August 2, 2015

Hawaiian Pulled Pork


Hawaiian Pulled Pork with White Rice & a Fried Egg!!


So I have to start this post off with an apology. The inspiration for this dish came from a meal I had on my honeymoon but I wanted to recreate it with my own twist. I was so happy with the end result but unfortunately we had this meal on the evening I was preparing freezer meals and did not photograph any of the steps. 

In all honesty, it was really simple with minimal cooking so I figured I would post it anyways even if it wasn't in my normal format. 

The Inspiration: Hawaiian Loco Moco!

A bed of rice topped with a hamburger patty, fried egg and brown gravy. 

Here is a photo of the one I had while in Hawaii on my honeymoon. Was it an amazing, delicious dish?...nope. I found it really lacking flavor but I loved the concept of the dish and wanted to make it more appealing to my taste buds! 


The Rice & Fried Egg are just that...nothing special done, which means that all the flavor is coming from the meat & sauce! So here is what I did.

The meat I picked was Pork Butt & I utilized my crockpot for that all day, fall off the bone result!

First step was to sear the pork to give it a good crust and seal in the juices. Salt and pepper the meat then place it in a large, hot sauté pan & leave it alone! Give it 2-3 minutes then check to see if its ready to flip. Your looking for a dark brown crust on the meat. We are not looking to cook this chuck of meat all the way through, just the outside. 

Once you have a good sear on each side place it into your crockpot, which I set on low and add the following using your own measuring judgement:

Bell Peppers: sliced
Onions: sliced
Soy Sauce
Fresh Ginger: minced
Fresh Garlic: minced
Green Onions: chopped
Can of crushed Pineapple
Brown Sugar
Salt/Pepper

Cover and allow to cook for 6-8 hrs. I went 8 hours, then using tongs and a fork, shred the pork right in the crockpot. 

For the sauce, I took out a couple ladles full of the juices and set it aside. I made a roux (melted butter and flour whisked together), then added in the juices till I had the consistency I was looking for. Remember to allow the sauce to come up to a boil and thicken completely. Feel free to use any thickening agent that you want like corn starch, Im just partial to a roux. 

To complete the dish, I made the white rice according the packaged directions and then fried up an egg in some hot, melted butter (seasoning lighting with salt/pepper). 


Rice went down first followed by a big helping of the hot, shredded pork! Spoon over some of the rich sauce then place the fried egg on top. Garnish with anything you like, I went simple with sliced green onions. 

Even tho Im not a big fan of over easy/medium eggs, I loved cutting it open and watching the thick yellow yolk ooze out down the pork becoming one with the sauce!! This dish just wouldn't be the same without it! 


Again, Im sorry for not doing this dish in the step by step format. Please feel free to ask any questions but remember that the best part of being in the kitchen is making each dish your own & adding the flare/flavors catered to your taste buds! 

Enjoy & Always Cook with Love



No comments:

Post a Comment