Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Someone give me a Beet!!

Anyone else grow up like me, thinking that beets were some strange item swimming in blood liquid at the end of a salad bar that only old ladies would eat?!?!?

It wasn't until I started my Culinary Internship at the Riverside Inn in Leland, Mi that I realized I was oh..so...wrong!! I can't believe I had deprived myself of this amazing root vegetable for so many years!

They are earthy, sweet and my favorite way to make them is by Roasting them whole!


Place them in a baking dish, drizzle with Olive Oil & Sprinkle with Salt/Pepper.


Cover with foil & cook in a 350 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes (depending on their size)
....ignore the sheet try of tomatoes, I was roasting those for tomato sauce....


They are done when you can pierce them easily with a small knife.


Once they are cooled, its time to peel off the skin. **Be careful on this step...beets can & will stain** If they stain your fingers, just rinse with some hot, soapy water and it should come right off.

Double up on some thick paper towels and rub over the beet, the skin should fall off.


Ahhhhh, looks like a massacre!!!


Beets are great just slices up on their own, tossed in any salad, pickled, juiced or turned into soup known as Borscht.


But, one of my favorite ways to enjoy them, is sliced in a Grilled Cheese!! Roasted Beets, Herbed Goat Cheese, Crusty Bread....seriously, my mouth is watering!! 


I highly recommend trying this delicious vegetable! 

----------------

Enjoy & Always Cook with Love!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment