Monday, November 24, 2014

Would I have been CHOPPED?!?!?!?

What foodie doesn't love a good cooking competition?? Im a junkie for the Food Network series Chopped & Ive been curious about how I would preform in such a intense challenge. Ive suggested several times to my husband to bring home my own 'Mystery Basket' to see what I can do. Well, this past Sunday the challenge became a reality!! Dun, Dun Dun!!!!! 


Needless to say I was very shocked at the items that my husband brought home..
Smoked Salmon, Eggplant, Gouda Cheese & Fresh Ginger....

He set the clock for 30 minutes and off I went!!


My first thought was to do a Stir-Fry dish, but I thought that was to predictable. So I went a different route.

I did a quick marinade on the Eggplant of Honey, Soy Sauce, Fresh grated Ginger & some pepper. Gave a quick sear to some carrots and onions, then added the eggplant in. Once everything was tender, I pureed it and made a course spread. 

That went on a slice of Sesame seed bread, followed by the smoked salmon & a thin slice of the gouda cheese. A generous coat of butter on the outside & the sandwiches were pressed in a pan. 

I knew that I couldn't just serve the Grilled Sandwich by itself....so I thinly sliced some cucumbers and soaked them in a mixture of grated ginger, salt, pepper, olive oil & apple cider vinegar. 


I finished plating with under a minute left!! 

Smoke Salmon Grilled Cheese with an Asian Eggplant Spread and Marinated Cucumber Chips.

------------

After doing this I realized a few things...

1. How fast my kitchen could go from spotless to a hurricane of a mess!
2. I was seriously nervous doing this in front of my husband, let allow 3 renowned judges
3. It was still a rush even tho I wasn't even completing against anyone..HA!
4. For the rest of the night, my mind couldn't stop thinking of all the other ways I could have prepared this basket. 
5. Regardless, it was incredible Fun & I was so happy with the flavors I was able to get in such short time!!

------------

Anyone looking for a good, fun challenge, have your own at home Chopped Challenge! But never forget, to always cook with LOVE



No comments:

Post a Comment