Thursday, October 9, 2014

Chili for when its Chilly!

If I had to guess, I would say that Chili is the most popular meal to make when it starts to get cold outside. Savory, meaty, hearty, & a sure dish to warm you up, whats not to love?!?

Now, I know that in certain parts of the country, Chili making is an art and taken very seriously. Although I have never entered a Chili Cook Off, I think I make a pretty tasty version. 

What you will need: 1 lb ground beef, Onions, Roasted Bell Pepper, Roasted Jalapeño Pepper, Garlic, Tomato Juice, 1 Can of Fire Roasted Tomatoes, 1 Can Kidney Beans, 1 Can Black Beans, 1 Can Chili Beans, Grill Seasoning, Worcestershire Sauce, Liquid Smoke, Chili Powder, Cumin, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper & Cilantro.

For the garnish: Shredded Cheese, Raw Onion, Cilantro, Sour Cream, Tortilla Chips.

Alright, Lets Get Cooking!!


In a heavy duty Dutch Oven (or any large pot you have), start browning your ground beef. I used a little olive oil in the bottom just to help the beef.


Tip: My husband always goes in on a Cow every year with his parents and brother. You will be shocked to see how much meat you get from a quarter of the cow. My stand freezer is completely full. I love that I don't have to buy any Beef at the store & I know the farm that the cow came from. If you have never done this, I highly recommend it! Get a couple people to go in together and it is well worth the money!!

2 small white onions, or 1 large onion, diced. I don't mince it because I want lots of texture in the chili.


Add to the ground beef and stir, allowing the beef to cook through.


5 cloves of garlic, minced. Feel free to use more or less.  Add to the meat/onion mixture.


Dice the Roasted Bell Peppers & Roasted Jalapeño. 

**If you don't know how to Char-Roast Peppers at home, see my previous Post for a step by step How To!**



Now that all the peppers and onions are in, its time to add some bold flavors & spices.


Couple turns around the pot with the Worcestershire Sauce.


Several drops of Liquid Smoke. If you have never used this before, you are really missing out! This little inexpensive bottle is a must to add a rich, smokey flavor! I use it all summer long in burgers, meatloaf, ribs, meatballs & BBQ sauce.


1-2 T. of Grill Seasoning. I buy the huge bottle from Sam's Club because I use it so often. Again, its great for almost any meaty, beefy dish.


A good amount of the Cumin & Paprika. Then several Tablespoons of Chili Powder. I never bother trying to find the perfect measurement for these because its different every time I make it. 

Tip: Always add, stir, taste and adjust. You can always add more, but if you put way to much in on the first time, you can't take it out.

****Please, DO NOT use a store bought Chili Flavor Packet!!! Please Please Please!! These 3 spices are inexpensive & will give you the flavor you are after....without all the extra additives and massive amount of salt!!!*****


Once all the spices are in, add the beans and can of diced fire roasted tomatoes. I never drain out any of the juices from the beans, its all flavor that I want in the soup.


Once those are all stirred into the pot, chop up a big handful of Cilantro! This adds such a pop of freshness. If your not a fan of cilantro, use green onions.


Sprinkle in and give it a stir!


Now its time to add the tomato juice. I don't add the whole thing all at once. Ill use about half, and allow the soup to simmer for awhile, then ill add the rest.


Put the heat on Low and allow the soup to bubble away for 20 mins. At this point, you will want to taste it and adjust any seasoning. I usually will add more chili powder, salt and the cayenne pepper for some heat! 


I think my favorite thing about Chili is the toppings!!!

I love to put Diced Raw Onions & Cilantro for that fresh flavor. Lots of cheese, a spoon full of sour cream and crushed tortilla chips! 

I also love to use Frito's if I have them on hand.


Please use this as a guideline to create the perfect bowl of chili for you!! Always remember to add or take out any ingredients you don't like. 

No matter how you make it, nothing beats a pipping hot bowl of Chili!! 

Enjoy & Cook with Love!






No comments:

Post a Comment