Monday, October 6, 2014

Host Your Own OCTOBER FEST!!!!


Saying Goodbye to Summer is tough, but What Better Way to Say Hello to Fall, then by Hosting Your Own OCTOBER FEST!! 

The Idea: I was inspired by two things, the first being the latest issue of the Rachael Ray magazine where they had an article about having a fall dinner with different sausages, sauerkraut, etc. Second, there is a small German style town not far from me that is always hosting fun festivals. I have always wanted to attend their Beer festival but I don't like massive crowds of people, paying to much just to sample beers & having to stay outside if the weather is cold, windy or raining.

So, this was my solution!!


My $5 garage sale Chalkboard made a great visual as my guest entered our home. 


The Dining Room Table. I'm not an awesome decorator, but I think I do a decent job with what Ive got. I splurged on the menu, so I seriously wanted to do the cheapest decor I could find. Goodwill - The green table cloth & the table runner (which is actually two window curtains), each a $1.99, help create the base. I also found a plan wreath for .49 cents, that I knew I could spice up. Dollar Store- a bunch of different fake fall flowers & leaves...little pumpkins & the round red place mats. From my own home- 3 mason jars, 4 little vases with candle (leftover from my wedding centerpieces) & my hot glue gun!!

The fake flowers got divided up and placed into the mason jars. I wanted to go pick up small pinecones to fill the jars, but it was pouring rain. Some other ideas, fill the jars with wine corks or use dried split peas, corn kernels or layer in both. 

I pulled off some of the flowers/leaves and hot glued them to the wreath and used that in the center of the table. 

Evenly space the candles & I placed two bottles of Witches Brew Wine from Leelanau Cellars.


The Appetizers: Crustini's, Salami, Fresh Mozzarella, Boursin Cheese, Ritz Crackers, Green Olives, Black Olives, Sliced Baby Dill Pickles, Grapes and Cherry Tomatoes stuffed with Boursin Cheese. 



The Main Course!


I went to a local meat market and got every different sausage they had. I ended up with 5...3 different Bratwurst's, Smoked Summer Sausage & Kielbasa. Whole grain mustard on the side. Behind the sausage platter I made Apple Bacon Slaw. It was a great side dish that added a cool, crisp element. 


What goes better with Sausage then Roasted Peppers & Onions?!?!? One red, orange & yellow pepper, three red onions...olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast @ 350..feel free to add anything you want into this melody. 


Roasted Butternut Squash Mac -n-Cheese!!!! The taste of Fall combined with classic Mac-n-Cheese...let just say this was a hit!!! Roast the butternut squash, puree till smooth, then add to your béchamel sauce. Salt, pepper, bay leaf & a couple handfuls of shredded mozzarella cheese. Noodles of your choice. Topped with more mozzarella and a sprinkle of parsley. 



Im not a baker, but its times like this that I wish I was. My dessert tray needed some help. A verity of small store bought cookies and mini Pumpkin Cheesecake's. I made these by using a box of No Bake Cheesecake (followed the directions for that). One can of pumpkin pure, with sugar and spices added.  Homemade whipped cream & a sprinkle of graham crackers. 
-----------------------------------------

NOW FOR THE FUN PART!!! 
BEER TASTING!!

Going to a brewery and having a flight is all the rage!! So I brought that experience right into my own home. 

Again....Dollar Store. I found thick black boards that I cut with a box cutter & small bright red cups 

Each guest was asked to bring a seasonal beer. 

Lucky for us, these day's there are tons of Fall inspired beers to choose from! 


Guest's got a piece of chalk to write the name of the beer in each cup. We ended up with 10 different beers to try!! It was interesting to see which beers people liked and disliked. 


What a fun night!!! Fantastic Food, Good Beer & Great Friends!! 

I can't think of a better way to welcome the Fall season!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment